About Us

My photo
For the grands and some aunts and uncles too.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Culture Clash

The kids were ecstatic the other day when we found a little bookshop, and our friend and neighbor told them to pick something out for themselves. She wanted to give them a little treat, and I was just glad it was a non-food item. Both of our sons picked Superman comic books. Of course, we scanned them first for potential inappropriate material, as we call it in this house. After all, our sons are nearly 8 and 6, and these comics were for who-knows-whom.

Seemed like they were fine, and the boys devoured them. Imagine our surprise, then, when our oldest came to me yesterday and said,

"You know, I had to rip a page out of my comic book the other day."

"Why, honey? Daddy and I checked it..." I was confused and suddenly worried.

"But you missed the part where Superman is kneeling in prayer position before the monkey god, Hanuman, before he tries to save the world."

"Oooooooh, of course. Well, um, thanks for catching that."

Just another day in the life...

3 comments:

  1. so sweet and thoughtful of hiim to tear it out, o how I loev your children! and you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my!!!! thank you for allowing us to peek into your world.

    I love your family!

    :)

    ReplyDelete