About Us

My photo
For the grands and some aunts and uncles too.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Monkey On His Back

We've all regressed some since living in India. I've lost any organizational skills I may have possessed in my former life. J forgets to brush his teeth at night now and again. But it's our middle son, C, who has had the most visible, er, setback. The kid used to suck his thumb a lot when he was younger. I took away his blankie one day and that was that. He stopped cold-turkey.

Well, he's six now and has been 'clean' for two years, probably. But ever since we moved, he's been doing it again. He doesn't need a blankie anymore--just a loose bit of fabric from his pillow or a corner of a bed sheet and he's off and running. I've issued dire warnings of impending buck-teeth if he doesn't stop, but nothing I say will persuade him to cut it out.

Anyway, I was rushing to put makeup on before class this morning and C came in to the bathroom solemnly. He announced the following:

"I have decided to take a break from sucking my thumb for two reasons: 1) My thumb is starting to taste blank, and 2) I'm running out of saliva."

Whatever works, Buddy. Whatever works.

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a reasoned, well-thought out decision! In spite regression (as you lament), it sounds like you still have a handle on teaching great decision making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...who ever knew he was factoring in the "taste" of his thumb in the benefits of sucking it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaaa! I love how you write, I can literally hear those words coming out of your mouth!! :) Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a few students at the middle school who still suck their thumbs. It's some sort of stress relief for them I think because it tends to be a bit more prominent on days when they've been in trouble multiple times. He'll probably decide his thumb is completely tasteless and bland once you settle in your permanent apartment and set up a more concrete routine. Send my hellos and love to them!

    ReplyDelete