About Us

My photo
For the grands and some aunts and uncles too.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Grateful

Although I've spent most of my life running from suffering (and what American hasn't?), I find that I cannot keep it up anymore. My breath is ragged and my legs are so tired. People here walk down dusty roads, quietly sharing their path with death. They don't hold its hand, of course, but they don't shoo it away either. And it's everywhere--this inevitability, this end to our short time here.

And if not death, exactly, then slow, simmering life. People who lose babies and go on living (like my cousins in the U.S.). People here who live eye-level with my knees on streets packed with refuse. Kids who pick through trash, unaware of the picture they paint. Legs like brittle sticks, eyes that know too much.

And then more "ordinary" griefs--like the one I crashed into today. I looked into the eyes of a mother who had lost her only son in a car accident in America. I had never met her before. But as I looked into her wild brown eyes--sweet, awkward relief--I was able to cry from my heart for her pain. She, wordless and searching, and I, small and negligible in this sea of humans. We were tied together.

And I was given the strange gift of seeing that my little offering of a crumpled face and streaming tears--without so much as an embrace--lifted a cloud off of her for a moment. She was glad someone else could see in for a minute, I guess.

Maybe God is giving me a ministry of tears. I've cried often enough during my time in India. I don't know. It's a painful thing, this life. But I'm finding out that pressing into it, and into the One who can heal it, is better than running after all.

7 comments:

  1. Praying along with you. Thank you for sharing your daily life and experiences. Helps give us "food" for prayer.

    Love, Aileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may experience a crash course in the humanness of life during your time there, Hannah. It can change you deeply...and wonderfully. God bless. I enjoy reading you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Hannah, for your willingness to be "REAL" and share your quiet thoughts...gives us much to meditate on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing what we learn when we're face-to-face with a harsh reality. How blessed we are to live where we live, to have what we have when so many have so much less. If only we could realize all the time that more many other things, people simply want sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for writing this post. You finally put into words what I've been feeling/experiencing since being here. Life is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful, sweet Hannah. And so, so true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a precious story to share. Thank you for your daily openness and letting us see into your lives. You guys are an inspiration to us all!

    Connie G from CTE

    ReplyDelete