About Us

My photo
For the grands and some aunts and uncles too.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day One

Today marked the first day of Hindi with my landlady. I wanted to have regular conversation time with her, and it turned out that she wants to 'teach' me grammar. She used to be a teacher (and really, it seems like everyone is a teacher in India--or they say they are). Anyway, before I could say, "No really. I just spent five months learning grammar. I really need conversation time," it was settled.

So, notebook in hand, I went downstairs this afternoon for my first 'lesson.' Mrs. Dolly spoke Hindi to me as if I were a very slow, very large kindergartner. Which is fine, because I kind-of am just that. We started back with the, gulp, alphabet. But you know, I think all the review is going to be helpful in the long run. And she doesn't speak good English, so in the end I'm still having conversation in Hindi. Like so many other things I've experienced here, I just pictured it differently...

4 comments:

  1. You need to keep a journal or someday publish your blogs and title it "I just pictured it differently!" I think that sums up the experiences of so many of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so amazing! how thrilling that she wants to help you. God's unfailing faithfulness.

    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha. well, that helps the company out BIG time right now...with all the budget cuts...I'm sure they'd LOVE if someone offered me free language lessons too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an experience. I love you. Somehow all that language study is going to pay off in ways you may not even know.

    ReplyDelete