About Us

My photo
For the grands and some aunts and uncles too.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Pink Eye

I have a conundrum. About a week ago, middle son had what appeared to be a nasty cold. Lots of drainage, but no fever. Nothing unusual except that he had what looked like the beginnings of Pink Eye in one eye and then later in the other. I waited a couple of days and just watched it. It never seemed like a really bad case, and then one day it just cleared up on its own. So did his drainage for the most part.

Then, last night (several days later), G started developing what also seems to be a bad cold. The kicker is, one of her eyes is red and looks like it's got conjunctivitis, too. It looks a bit worse than C's did. I had her wash her hands, and I washed her eyes. I'm going to watch her, but I have a question: is it Pink Eye if it heals up on it's own without medicine? Is it safe to not treat eyes that look yucky or is that a dangerous thing? Has anyone ever had a kid who only had goopy eyes when they also had a cold or some other virus?

Eventually, I'm going to have to go the doctor if we don't get better around here. I was just hoping to get some mom-opinions, and advice before we did.

Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I've had mine get what looked like pink-eye with a cold...if they had other cold symptoms that also cleared up, I would think it's just a cold. When I've had the cold version, my eyes didn't itch insanely or feel like they had gravel in them like they do with conjunctivitis. I've found it safe to NOT treat goopy eyes, but I am not a medical expert!!!! (And for the record, you should know that I tend to err on the side of NOT treating and letting nature run it's course.) Hope everyone gets feeling better very soon!! Go with your mommy intuition :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, if it is pink eye it's highly contagious and requires treatment.

    ReplyDelete