About Us

My photo
For the grands and some aunts and uncles too.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Light and Darkness


I love Christmas trees. I've always loved to sit and stare at them until the lights blur in my eyes, and all I see is a wash of glowing color. I think long-tucked-away thoughts at this time of year. Like ornaments in my mind, I bring them out, dust them off, and am pleased to find that they are still delightful--even after a year in the attic.

But nothing is as sweet as seeing a Christmas tree through the eyes of a person who's never seen one. We've had neighbors and their kids ring our doorbell just so they can get a glimpse of "the tree." They don't try to hide their wonderment. Adults stand with their mouths open and don't say a word. Then they inch closer and lovingly touch every ornament. They finally say things like, "It's magnificent. So beautiful. How did you do this?"

Please pray that we'll use every opportunity we are given to tell about the reason for Christmas. That the lights on the tree that beat back the darkness of an evening are nothing. Nothing compared to the Light who came so long ago to beat back the darkness of our wretched hearts. Pray that we'll be kind when a neighborhood kid tries to fill her pockets with G's Polly Pockets. Pray that the joy we have at being rescued bubbles over and proves irresistible to our friends and neighbors.

Happy Holidays!

3 comments: