About Us

My photo
For the grands and some aunts and uncles too.

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Different Strokes

The kids and I, and our dear house helper 'D,' were sitting around the lunch table the other day. I happened to look over at our oldest son, who had lost his two front teeth right before we came to India. In place of his perfect, Chiclet baby teeth are the beginnings of two gigantic adult teeth. I made delicate mention of their size and progress to him. This prompted D to share this heartwarming story:

"When I was a girl, we used to wait for our teeth to 'break off.' Then we'd dig a hole in the ground, and bury our teeth. We waited for a rat to come and take the teeth and leave us a rupee in return. And he always did."

I didn't know quite what to say. Bringing up a fairy and pillows and dollars suddenly seemed so...lightweight.

8 comments:

  1. A rat...that's so...sparkly and magical. Mom would've never allowed her baby teeth to fall out if she had grown up in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. I should be so proudy about American traditions. Some of them are weird, too, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!!! How great to swap traditions! Where do these things begin anyway? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pa ha ha ha....and to you too, Peach.

    liar. It's Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it worked that time. I thought it'd say Nate again. Forget it...... :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is greatness :)

    ReplyDelete